The ACTIVATOR™ Advantage
The Wyeast Smack Pack™ is the only package on the market that provides proof of yeast activity before use. You know the yeast is active before it goes into your wort.
Ready to Pitch
With a minimum of 100 billion cells per package, the 125 ml Activator™ is ready to pitch immediately, or for an added boost, activate the yeast when you start brewing and pitch it in its active state by the time the wort is cool. The Activator™ gives the brewer options no other package can deliver.
You will achieve faster starts with the Activator™ because of the high cell count and the fact that the yeast is active when it hits the wort. When yeast is active, sugar is already being transported across the cell membrane which greatly reduces lag time.
Longer Shelf Life
The Activator™ package was designed with superior UV light- and oxygen-barrier material to extend shelf life, making our 6 month from manufacture date Product Warranty possible. Yeast slowly depletes energy reserves while in storage. The nutrient pouch inside the Activator™ helps the stored yeast recover from dormancy and restores vitality.
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc. ™Pure Liquid Yeast™ vs. Dry Yeast
Brewers and winemakers that are new to their hobby frequently ask: “Why spend more money on liquid yeast cultures when I can get dry yeast for less money and with a longer shelf life?”
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc. began producing reliable Pure Liquid Yeast™ with innovative packaging for home use in 1986, and the market for pure liquid yeast grew rapidly. The popularity of pure liquid cultures can be explained by the superior beer and wine produced when compared to dry yeast.
There are numerous reasons why pure liquid yeast cultures provide superior results:
- There are many more strains of yeast available in pure liquid form than in dried form. The variety of strains available in liquid form allows brewers and wine makers to choose yeast that fits the style of beer or wine being produced. All-purpose strains produce off-style beer and wine. Many yeast strains do not survive the drying process, limiting availability.
- Pure liquid yeast cultures produce better aroma and flavor profiles. Independent testing, as well as testing by Wyeast Laboratories, has shown (through taste panels and gas chromatograph testing) that liquid yeast cultures produce more intense and desirable flavor and aroma compounds, as well as better mouthfeel and balance.
- Wyeast Pure Liquid Yeast™ cultures are pure, single strains of yeast with no contaminants. Dry yeast can contain contamination by multiple strains or other organisms, varying between manufacturers and batches.
- The drying process causes re-hydrated yeast to produce undesirable flavor and aroma compounds. Comparative fermentations with the same yeast strain in dry and liquid form shows a significant difference in flavor and aroma as well as mouthfeel.
- Wyeast’s award-winning Smack Pack™ liquid yeast packages show proof of yeast activity before the yeast is used. The unique Smack Pack™ technology allows the brewer or wine maker to confirm yeast activity before the yeast is used to inoculate wort or must. The quality of dry yeast has improved slightly over the past 20 years, but this fact remains: Wyeast Pure Liquid Yeast™ produces better beer and wine. For consistent quality and true-to-style wine and beer, discerning and award-winning brewers and winemakers choose Wyeast.
All contents of this document are copyrighted by Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.™